Roast Carrot Soup with Cashews and Chilli - Vegan
This brilliant combo blows the classic carrot & coriander combo out of the water. Also works a dream with pumpkin or squash in place of the carrots – swap 1 medium-sized squash/pumpkin for the 8 carrots. Produce from Perry Court Farm and Planta Health Food Shop on Westow Hill.
Write a review
- 8 good-sized carrots, peeled and finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed and peeled
- A splash of olive oil
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- A pinch of chilli powder
- 50g cashew nuts (or 2 tbsp peanut butter)
- 750ml-1ltr veg stock
- A handful of fresh mint (optional)
- 1 lime
- Preheat oven to 220°C/Gas 7. Place a roasting tin in the oven to heat up.
- Add the carrots, garlic and a splash of olive oil to the hot roasting tin. Season with salt and pepper. Roast till the carrots have coloured up and are mashably tender.
- Toast your cashews till golden. Whiz in a food processor or a pestle and mortar till like peanut butter (or just use peanut butter).
- Warm your stock.
- Once the carrots are cooked, whiz with the nut butter and a few splashes of the stock till you have a thick, smooth and creamy mash. Add a hit of chilli powder, to taste. Whiz in a handful of fresh mint to counter the chilli heat.
- Trickle and whiz in enough stock to get the soup as thick or thin as you like. Season to taste and finish with a refreshing squeeze of lime juice.
Crystal Palace Food Market https://crystalpalacefoodmarket.co.uk/