Tomato Sauce From Pavlos - Local Friend's Recipe
Do you have a favourite recipe we could feature? Come and see us at the market or send us an e-mail.
Write a review
- An onion
- Olive oil
- One (or two) tins of tomatoes, or fresh tomatoes when in season
- Pinch sugar
- Pinch salt
- Dessert spoon ground cinnamon, or a whole stick
- Cracked black pepper
- Full dessert spoon dried oregano (or fresh)
- "Take whole onion - coarsely grated. Fry in a pot with olive oil and a little water until soft but not mush or brown.
- Remove from the fire and add a mushed up tin of tomatoes, or passata - (my Mum uses actual tomatoes, grated).
- Add a tin full of water, or another tin of tomatoes. Bring to boil, lower heat, put lid on and simmer on very low heat, stirring occasionally. For about 20 mins.
- Remove the lid, add pinch of sugar, about 2 pinches of salt (both to taste), dessert spoon of ground cinnamon, or a whole stick, 7 twists cracked black pepper, 1 full dessert spoon oregano, slosh of olive oil and let cook for another 20 mins."
- Lovely over roasted cauliflower, as a dip for fresh bread, a sauce for meatballs or pasta and much more.
Crystal Palace Food Market https://crystalpalacefoodmarket.co.uk/