Honeyed Parsnip Quinoa with Chilli, Cardamom and Orange
Perfect as vegetarian main or with a roast. To make vegan, swap the honey for maple syrup or brown sugar
Write a review
- 1kg parsnips, peeled and cut into 4cm long batons - Brockman's Farm
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced - Brockman's Farm
- A pinch of chilli powder - The Store Cupboard
- A few glosses of olive or rapeseed oil, plus 4 tbsp for the dressing The Store Cupboard
- 200g quinoa - The Store Cupboard
- 500ml water
- 3 oranges - Brockman's Farm
- 1 tbsp runny honey - The Store Cupboard
- 4 cardamom pods, seeds, finely ground - The Store Cupboard
- 2 large handfuls of fresh parsley, finely chopped - Wild Country Organics
- A large handful almonds, toasted - The Store Cupboard
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper - The Store Cupboard
- Preheat the oven to 220C/Gas 7.
- Place a large roasting or baking tray on the top shelf of the oven to warm up.
- Toss the parsnips and onions in a bowl with a little salt, pepper and chilli powder.
- Gloss with just enough oil to lightly coat.
- Tumble onto the warmed tray and roast for about 25-30 minutes, or until golden and tender.
- Meanwhile, rinse your quinoa in a fine mesh sieve.
- Heat a lidded pan and toast the rinsed grains for a moment. Swirl in a pinch of salt and a drop of oil. Pour in the water, pop a lid on, lower the heat and let it cook for 20 minutes, or until all the water is fully absorbed.
- Remove from the heat, lid still on, and leave to steam for a further 5 minutes. Drain any excess water.
- Halve one of the oranges. Squeeze out 8 tablespoons of juice into a clean, lidded jam jar. Mix with the 4 tablespoons of olive oil, a pinch of salt, the honey and ground cardamom.
- Shake or whisk until fully emulsified. Taste and adjust the seasoning and the orange/oil/honey ratio to your liking.
- Once the parsnips are nearly done, pour a little dressing over them, just enough to lightly coat, and pop them back in the oven for a couple of minutes, allowing the dressing to turn to a sticky glaze.
- Cut the remaining oranges into 1cm-thick rounds – whip the peel off the rounds.
- Mix them through the quinoa, along with the chopped parsley and the remaining dressing.
- Tuck the roasted parsnips in to the mix, once cooked.
- Scatter the toasted almonds over the top.
- Serve warm or cold.
- Swap honey for maple syrup or brown sugar to make it vegan.
Adapted from FIVE: 150 effortless ways to eat 5+ fruit and veg a day
Crystal Palace Food Market https://crystalpalacefoodmarket.co.uk/