This week sees wine at the market for the first time – long may it continue. To celebrate it and to fully welcome the London Cheesemonger, we present you with fondue. It’s the perfect dish to marry with lots of other great things form the market like Perry Court’s purple sprouting broccoli and potatoes, Brambletye’s apples and Bread Bread’s luscious loaves.
Write a review
- 150g Comte cheese
- 150g Ogleshield (Raclette style cheese) or just use more Comte
- 1 tbsp plain white flour
- 1 garlic clove
- 225ml white wine – something fruity and mildly sweet like Riesling
- A few sprigs of thyme or rosemary
- A bay leaf (optional)
- A twist of black pepper
- Grate the cheeses. Toss with the flour.
- Slice your garlic clove in half. Rub the inside of a pot with the halves.
- Pour the wine into the pot. Gently bring to the boil. Lower the heat.
- Add the cheese, little by little. Stir in a zig zag pattern rather than in circles. This keeps the cheese from swirling into a big clump.
- Once the cheese is nicely melted, add the garlic halves and herbs. If it’s looking too thick for your liking, slosh in a drop more wine. If it’s looking too thin, grate in a little more cheese.
- Let it warm through gently for 5-10 mins before serving.
- If you happen to have leftovers, chill and then slater over toast and grill until bubbly for an instant rarebit.
Crystal Palace Food Market https://crystalpalacefoodmarket.co.uk/