Dave’s Mole Con Carne
We’ve got a chilli expert at the market (2nd and 4th Saturdays of the month), and we’ve got a stall selling some of the best beef in Britain. It’d be crazy not to offer a chilli recipe and Dave’s sounds mighty amazing. Also features our own Crystal Palace Patchwork Farm.
Write a review
- Splash of olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1kg diced beef braising steak or beef mince*
- Salt and pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 30ml bottle mole
- 1 tsp Mad Ass Dare Ya
- ½ litre stock, preferably beef stock**
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano (optional) – we have some on the Patchwork Farm stall
- 1 tin kidney beans, drained
- Natural or Greek yogurt, to serve – see Perry Court Farm’s stall
- Fresh chives – Patchwork Farm stall
- A nice loaf, sliced, rubbed with garlic, buttered and toasted – see Bread Bread
- Fry onions till tender but not coloured. Remove from pan. Set aside.
- Season meat and fry until nicely coloured . Add to onions.
- Deglaze pan with a splash of the stock, or a little water. Add meat and onions back to pan. Add the garlic. Cook a little. Add the mole and Dare Ya sauces. Mix through.
- Then, in with the remaining stock and tinned tomatoes. If you don’t have stock just use an extra tin of tomatoes, as noted below.
- Simmer for 1 1/2 hrs, or until the meat it nicely softened and the flavours have melded nicely.
- Once the meat is nicely tender. Add the spices and oregano, if using, and the . Simmer a further 30 minutes.
- Dave loves to serve his chilli up with garlic bread and a thick yogurt mixed with fresh chives.
- *Make your own braising steak by dicing up a beef leg in bite-sized pieces. It’s a wonderfully cheap cut that’s beautiful when slow cooked.
- **If you don’t have stock to hand you can simply use an extra tin of tomatoes topped up with little water, about 200ml, or enough to cover the meat.
- The leftovers freeze beautifully.
Drink pairings from Manish at Good Taste Food & Drink
- ‘A good IPA is what this chilli calls for and we’ve got a really good selection of IPAs at the moment.’
Crystal Palace Food Market https://crystalpalacefoodmarket.co.uk/