COOKING ON A BUDGET - Appley Gipsy Toast
Also known as French toast or egg bread, this is the ultimate way to make the most of your loaf.
Write a review
- 4-6 big slices of stale bread
- 2 eggs
- 4 tbsp milk or water
- 4 apples
- A drizzle of honey or maple syrup (optional)
- 2 tbsp oil or butter for cooking
- Get your bread slices ready.
- Whisk your eggs with the milk or water in a shallow dish.
- Dip the bread slices into the egg mix. Use a fork to lightly prick the bread to help the egg mix soak in.
- Leave to soak for at least 10 mins or overnight in the fridge.
- Cut your apples into 1cm slices, discarding core and stem.
- Place the apples in a sauce pan with enough water to come half way up the apples. Pop a lid on. Simmer for 10 mins or until tender.
- Take the lid off, cook till all the water is absorbed and apples are sticky, tender and sweet.
- Swirl in a little honey or maple syrup to sweeten, if you like.
- Set a large frying pan over high heat. Add the oil. Lower the heat to medium. Add the eggy bread slices in a single layer.
- Cook in batches if needed. Fry until golden on each side.
- Pile the toast on to plates capped with a mound of the apples.
Crystal Palace Food Market https://crystalpalacefoodmarket.co.uk/