Chickpea salad with tomato based sauce and wakame
A recipe from Return to Shashamane, in collaboration with The Grain Grocer
Write a review
- 500 grams chickpeas
- 2 bayleaves
- 5 peppercorns
- 15-20g seaweed*
- mustard seeds
For the sauce
- 2 onions
- 5 carrots
- 4 red peppers
- 1 and a half can of canned chopped tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons of coriander seeds
- 1 tsp paprika
- sunflower oil
- Soak the chickpeas for 8 hours. Boil until soft with the bay leaves, peppercorns, a bit of salt. When boiled strain, and leave aside.
- Roast the red peppers in the oven. When soft and slightly burned, take out from oven and put them in bowl adding some salt over them. When not so hot anymore peel the skin off the peppers, and then chop them in the food processor.
- Boil the carrots until soft. Chop them in the mixer and leave aside.
- Chop the onions and then sautee in some oil in a pan until soft adding 1 teaspoon of paprika towards the end. Add the coriander seeds. I like to keep them whole for a crunch but for a stronger flavour the coriander seeds can be ground. Add the red roasted and chopped peppers, mixing slowly on a low fire for 2 minutes, then add the boiled and chopped carrots and the chopped tomatoes. Leave to cook the sauce on a slow fire for about 30 minutes. Add salt for taste if needed.
- Leave to cool, and then mix with the boiled and cooled chickpeas. Soak the seaweed with a little salt in some water for about 10 minutes, then chop roughly and mix with the chickpeas and sauce. At the end you can add some mustard seeds. Best served cold for a hearty, filling portion of vegetable protein.
- Bon appetite!
- *Sea spaghetti or dulse can be happily substituted for wakame.
- Acknowledgements to The Greenwich Market Cookbook
Crystal Palace Food Market https://crystalpalacefoodmarket.co.uk/