Super Easy Black Dal
Wade has organic black lentils in this week. Just the ticket for this recipe.
Write a review
- 1tbsp coconut oil
- 200g urad dal
- 670ml water
- 1tsp turmeric, added to the water
- 1tsp chilli powder, added to the water.
- 4 green chillies, finely chopped
- 1tbsp cumin seed
- 2cm ginger, peeled and grated
- 1tsp garam masala
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 2tbsp tomato purée
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp butter, salt to taste
For the side - Macerated Onion
- 1 red chilli, finely sliced
- 1 small red onion or a couple shallots, finley sliced & soaked in fresh lime juice for about 10 mins
For the topping
- Handful fresh coriander, chopped
- Soak the lentils in water for two hours. Drain. Then pop the lentils in a pan and pour over the 670ml spiced water (turmeric & chilli powder). Simmer for 90min on a low heat, or use a pressure cooker for 20 mins.
- When the lentils have cooked through, remove the pan from the heat and use a whisk to gently break them down. Season to your taste. Set the mixture aside.
- In a frying pan, toast the cumin seed, then add 1tbsp coconut oil and add green chillies. Sprinkle in the other spices. Then add the onion and cook until well browned. Add the garlic last, cooking until it just turns golden.
- In a separate pan, cook the tinned tomatoes, tomato purée over a low heat for 10 mins, then blend and add the tomatoes then add the lentils and spice sauce & stir on a low heat. Finally, mix in 2tbsp butter, add salt & pepper taste
- Serve with rice, macerated onions & try one of Rochelle's organic spicy chutneys on the Patchwork Farm stall.
To cook the basmati rice
- 1.5 cups rice, soak rice for 15 mins, drain, add 3 cups water, bring to boil, cover and simmer for 45 mins.
Crystal Palace Food Market http://crystalpalacefoodmarket.co.uk/