Sicilian Courgette Salad - Veg Side
This is a stunning picnic dish or light supper – gorgeous alongside roast lamb, griddled halloumi slices from Mootown or a ball of fresh Buffalo mozzarella (which you can get from our local Italian deli on Westow Hill).
Write a review
- 3-4 courgettes, cut into thin rounds
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- A few glugs of olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- A handful of raisins, soaked in boiling water for 10 mins
- 3-4 tbsp pinenuts, toasted
- 3-4 tbsp capers
- 1 lemon, juice and zest
- A splash of red wine or cider vinegar
- Toss your courgette rounds into a bowl with a good pinch of salt and pepper. Add a splash of olive oil. Coat well.
- Heat a large frying pan. Add a little oil – just enough to gloss the pan. Arrange your courgette rounds in a single layer – you’ll have to cook them in batches; avoid over-crowding the pan.
- Cook the courgettes until golden on each side, adding more oil as needed. Once you’ve cooked all the batches, add the garlic to the pan and cook until just softened. Toss it over the courgettes.
- Arrange the courgettes on a large plate or tray. Drain the raisins and scatter over the top, along with the toasted pinenuts and capers. Grate over a little lemon zest and a squeeze of juice. Splash a little vinegar over the top and a grinding of black pepper. Taste and adjust seasoning as need. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Crystal Palace Food Market http://crystalpalacefoodmarket.co.uk/