Sabrina’s Elderflower Cordial - Wild Food
Forage from your local park, hedge, etc. or buy from Perry Court Farm.
Write a review
- 30 elderflower heads
- 1 1/2 litres boiling water
- 1kg caster sugar
- 50g citric acid (available from chemists)*
- 2 unwaxed oranges, sliced**
- 3 unwaxed lemons, sliced
- Gently rinse over the elderflowers to remove any dirt or little creatures.
- Pour the boiling water over the sugar in a very large mixing bowl. Stir well and leave to cool.
- Add the citric acid, the orange and lemon slices, and then the flowers.
- Leave in a cool place for 24 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Strain through some muslin and transfer to sterilised bottles. With the citric acid, it’ll keep for a year.
- *The citric acid gives the cordial a longer shelf life. You can leave it out if you store your cordial in a cool place and drink within 4 weeks. Once opened refrigerate. To store longer, freeze.
- **If you can’t find unwaxed oranges, just swap them out for lemons.
- Sabrina will be selling her delicious home made pasta & sauces on the Patchwork Farm stall next week, on 13 July.
Crystal Palace Food Market http://crystalpalacefoodmarket.co.uk/