Perfect Poached Eggs
We recommend the Orchard Eggs sold at the Brambletye stall. This pretty Forest Row farm is organic and biodynamic and the hens run around under the apple and pear trees keeping the grass down and leading totally natural lives. So the hens are happy, their eggs are fresh and they taste amazing. (On a health note, grass fed hens produce eggs much higher in Omega 3's.)
Write a review
- 1 egg per person
- Crack each egg into a small cup – one egg per cup.
- Fill a shallow, lidded pan with boiling water and 1 tsp cider vinegar or white wine vinegar. Place over low heat – you don’t want the water to boil up.
- Whisk the water to make a whirlpool. Quickly pour your egg into the middle to swirl the white around the yolk. Let it simmer till the white starts to set. Pop a lid on to help it cook, but keep the yolk soft and runny (unless you prefer it firm). Remove with a slotted spoon. Gently blot to remove excess water before serving.
- If making more, cook one egg at a time – repeating this process. Keep each egg in a bowl until ready to serve – you can reheat by placing them back in the water for a second just before serving.
- Poached eggs are perfect on toast, of course, but also delicious perched a top of a salad, a bowl of pasta or a grain-based dish to make it more substantial.
Crystal Palace Food Market http://crystalpalacefoodmarket.co.uk/