Mexican Street Market Tacos - Fast Food
There are endless things you can pile into a taco. Select a bundle of seasonal veg. Cook it with spice. Add a hit of lemon or lime juice, some fresh herbs, yogurt and grated cheese and you’ve got a smashing meal that’ll transport you to a bustling Mexican street market. Tacos are also a great way of using leftover meat.
Write a review
From Perry Court Farm, Mootown & Patchwork Farm
2 red, yellow and/or orange peppers
1 large onion or a bundle of spring onions, sliced
A handful of other seasonal veg*, chopped
A splash of olive oil
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
1 lemon or 2 limes, juice only
1 heaped tsp cumin seeds
1 heaped tsp sweet paprika (the smoked variety, if you have it)
A pinch of chilli powder
A handful of leftover cooked meat (roast chicken, beef, lamb, pork or sausages) - optional
A handful of fresh summer herbs (coriander, chives, chervil, parsley)
Tortilla wraps (see homemade recipe)
Grated cheese like Bermondsey Hard Press and Greek yogurt to serve, or fried nuggets of halloumi
Chilli sauce, salsa or diced tomatoes (to serve)
- Slice your peppers, remove seeds and stems. Get a large frying pan hot. Gloss with olive oil. Add your peppers and onions. Season with salt and pepper. Add a spritz of citrus juice. Sizzle in the hot pan for a few mins. Stir frequently.
- Once the veg has a little colour, add the spices and a little extra oil if needed. Cook for a few mins till fragrant and tender, with some bite. Add any cooked meat now, if using. Add a fresh squeeze of citrus. Taste and add more spices if you like.
- Fold in any seasonal greens or softer veg now, cooking a touch longer.
- Warm your tortillas in a separate frying pan just flashing each side in hot pan until softened, or heat in the oven (wrapped in foil to keep them soft).
- Bundle the peppery filling into the warm tortillas. Serve with a hit of salsa, chilli sauce or fresh tomatoes, a dollop of yogurt and/or cheese and fresh herbs.
- * Shredded seasonal greens like rainbow chard or spinach work a treat. You can even toss in a bit of asparagus.
- GLUTEN-FREE Cook up a batch of wild rice or quinoa and serve your spiced up peppers on top, with all the finishing touches (herbs, yogurt, cheese, etc.)
Crystal Palace Food Market http://crystalpalacefoodmarket.co.uk/