Hot Roast Apples with Ice Cream - Easiest Pud Ever
Whole roasted apples are one of the most delicious things ever. Produce from Brambletye or Patchwork Farm.
Write a review
- 1-2 apples (any variety) per serving
- 1-2 large scoops of ice cream (toffee, vanilla or ginger ice cream is the best)
- A good pinch of toasted nuts (optional)
- Core your apple, keeping the rest of it intact – i.e. you just want to hallow out the centre, seedy bit – if you have an apple corer gadget it’s the best!
- Get a knife and make a cut (no deeper than 1cm) around the girth of the apple, like you’re giving it a belt. This allows the flesh to expand without exploding skin.
- Pop on a baking tray in the centre of the oven. Roast until the apple has swollen and is perfectly tender right the way through, about 30 mins but a little less for dinky apples, more for whoppers.
- Remove from the oven. Gently take the top layer of skin off – scrap out any apple saucy bits sticking to it using a teaspoon to scoop it away from the flesh and a butter knife to hold the skin in place.
- Transfer each apple or two to a small plate or a bowl. Top each with a scoop of ice cream. Finish with nuts (and/or toffee sauce!) and eat straight away.
- Beyond this pud, you can just scoop out the flesh for an instant, intensely-flavoured apple sauce for your morning porridge or Sunday roast pork.
Crystal Palace Food Market http://crystalpalacefoodmarket.co.uk/