Cheesy Springy Potato Cakes - Brunch or Tea
Produce from Perry Court and Mootown. Delicious with fried or poached eggs, bacon or just a simple salad.
Write a review
- 500g mashed potato (skins are fine)
- 4-5 spring onions and/or a handful or two of chopped greens like spinach, chard or rocket
- 1 egg, beaten
- 150g semi-hard cheese like Bermondsey Hard Press, grated
- Salt, pepper and fresh nutmeg (optional) to taste
- Plain flour, for coating
- A little oil for cooking
- Clean and thinly slice your spring onions (greens and white parts). Cook in a frying pan with a little olive oil just until tender. Season well.
- Combine the mash, cooked spring onions, fresh chopped greens, egg, and cheese. Season to taste.
- Shape into eight patties (burger style). Chill for an hour in the fridge if possible, this makes them easier to cook (i.e. they won’t fall apart in the pan).
- Pour a little flour onto a plate – a thin layer, just enough to cover the plate. Plonk the patties in the flour and turn to coat nicely on both sides.
- Heat about 1cm (½") of oil in a large frying pan. Slide the patties in and fry on each side till golden and crisp. Serve warm.
- These potato cakes freeze well. You can either make them up fully, or just freeze the mix, defrost and whip them into patty cake shape when you're ready to cook them. You can also refrigerate and reheat cooked patties. They’ll keep for a day or two in the fridge.
Crystal Palace Food Market http://crystalpalacefoodmarket.co.uk/