Chard Lentils with Halloumi Croutons - Vegetarian Main
Chard (or greens) from Perry Court and halloumi from Mootown
Write a review
- A few splashes of olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely diced (optional)
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 200g green speckled or puy lentils
- 1 bay leaf (optional)
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 100ml red wine*
- 300ml stock or water
- 1–2 tbsp mustard
- A good splash of balsamic vinegar
- A bundle of chard or any similar greens like kale, cavelo nero…
- 150g halloumi
- A handful of fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 lemon, juice and zest
- Add a splash of olive oil to a lidded pot. Cook the onion, carrot and garlic till softened.
- Fold the lentils and bay leaf through. Season well. Let it sizzle for a mo.
- Pour in the wine. Allow it to bubble up for a bit.
- Pour in stock or water. Lower heat. Pop a lid. Cook for 40 minutes, or until tender.
- Once cooked. Taste. Add a splash of balsamic vinegar for a touch of sweetness and a little mustard to give it a kick. Adjust seasoning.
- Finely chop the chard so it’s like chopped parsley. To do, carve the green from the heavy white stem. Stack the leaves. Roll into a bundle. Thinly slice. Then, chop the slivers a bit further. Be gentle with it, though.
- Fold chard through the lentils. Remove from heat. Set aside.
- Thinly slice your halloumi. Cut the into little cubes. Fry in a little olive oil till golden.
- Scatter over lentils. Finish with parsley, lemon juice and zest.
- *If you don’t have wine swap with water or stock.
Shop Local - Planta
- Did you know that PLANTA offers a loyalty card? All other bits you need for this dish (lentils, balsamic and mustard) can be bought there.
Crystal Palace Food Market http://crystalpalacefoodmarket.co.uk/