COOKING ON A BUDGET 2 - Daahl
A simple warming and filling dish - perfect for the winter months and super light on the purse
Write a review
- 200 g red split lentils
- Enough water to cover the lentils
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1 green chilli diced
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp red chilli powder
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 cm of ginger
For the tarka
- A knob of butter or a table spoon of ghee or a drizzle of olive oil
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 2 fresh tomatoes diced
For the garnish
- A few table spoons Fresh coriander
- For the daahl
- Start by washing the lentils and cover in a medium pan with water
- Add the salt, green chilli, turmeric, red chilli powder, garlic and ginger to it.
- Bring it to a slow boil.
- Keep an eye on it and when required top it up with half a cup of water until the lentils are a good creamy texture.
- Season with more salt or chilli to your liking.
- Take the daahl of the heat. Stir through1 spoon of the coriander.
- For the tarka
- While the dahl is cooking heat up your oil in a small flying pan and add the cumin to roast it slightly, being cafeful not to burn it.
- Now add the tomatoes, cover with a lid on slow heat until the oil separates from the tomatoes.
- Mix together and then add the tarka to the daahl.
- Garnish with chopped coriander.
- Daahl can be served with a variety of dishes as a filling, cheap and nutritious dish.
Crystal Palace Food Market http://crystalpalacefoodmarket.co.uk/