COOKING ON A BUDGET - Spiced Beetroot & Apple Soup with Soldiers
You can make soup with just about anything so if you don’t like beetroot swap it out for any veg: parsnips, celeriac, swede, celery, fennel, and more.. Ditto with the spice. Use ginger, curry powder, or simply a handful of herbs.
Write a review
- 500g beetroot
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 onion
- 2 apples
- 1 tbsp garam marsala
- 750ml veg stock
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat your oven to 200C/Fan 180C/Gas 6. Set a roasting tin on the top shelf to heat up.
- Peel your beetroot. Cut into 3cm cubes. Tumble into the warmed roasting tin with the oil. Season well. Roast 25 mins.
- Halve, peel and finely chop your onion. Add it to the roasting beetroot. Return to the oven for 5 mins.
- Peel, core and dice your apple. Spoon the roasted beetroot, onion and raw apple (save a slice or two to garnish) into a blender or food processor with the garam marsala.
- Blend everything together, trickling the stock in little by little, till it’s as thick or as thin as you like it.
- Finely dice the remaining apple. Sprinkle it onto of the soup as a garnish.
Crystal Palace Food Market http://crystalpalacefoodmarket.co.uk/